100% Whole Wheat Baked Chocolate Doughnuts {SRC}


It's the last Monday of the month which means it's time for Secret Recipe Club!  This month I was assigned So Tasty, So Yummy written by Katie.  Katie has a ton of recipes and it was really hard to narrow it down.  I wanted to make so many of her dishes like Baked Chicken Burritos with Sour Cream Poblano Sauce, Chicken Gyros and Shake Shack Burger.  But in the end I settled on her Whole Wheat Chocolate Doughnuts.

Since school started I've been trying to make breakfast more interesting for the boys.  Something they can look forward to so that they wake up quickly and also eat quickly.  I've already made Strawberry Scones and Chocolate Chip Muffins with half the flour substituted with whole wheat and using some coconut sugar.  I've been trying to use more coconut sugar in my baking because it has a low glycemic index which means it doesn't give you a big sugar rush and then a sugar crash.

So when making Katie's Whole Wheat Chocolate Doughnuts I used coconut sugar and I also added in some walnuts. I replaced a little bit of the milk with orange juice as well.  I read on King Arthur Flour that adding a little bit of orange juice helps to take away the bitterness of whole wheat flour.  I've made these twice already. Hasan preferred it without walnuts because he didn't like the crunch.  The first tine they had them for breakfast I asked him if they were good.  He said "No...they are awesome!"

Instead of the chocolate glaze Katie used, I used icing sugar.  I think the icing sugar makes these head in the direction of not so healthy. Although you won't taste the whole wheat, these are not a decadent doughnut.  But they make the boys think they are eating dessert for breakfast and their plates are clean in no time!  Thanks Katie for sharing this recipe!

100% Whole Wheat Baked Chocolate Doughnut
Adapted from So Tasty, So Yummy

Makes 7 doughnuts

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla powder
1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp orange juice
1 egg
3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce*
1 tbsp canola oil

icing sugar

* I don't use a lot of applesauce so I like to buy the baby food applesauce since the quantity is small and I know it's just apples.

Preheat oven to 450 F.  Grease doughnut pan.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and vanilla powder.  Stir in walnuts.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Pipe into doughnut pan. I filled a Ziploc bag with the batter, cut of a corner and piped it in.

Back for 7 minutes.  After they are done baking let the dougnuts rest for 2-3 minutes in pan and then carefully remove them and transfer to a cooling rack.  Since there is so little oil in these doughnuts they didn't just pop out.  I ran a spatula around the edge and carefully took them out.

In a Ziploc bag, add some icing sugar.  Add one doughnut to the bag.  Seal bag and then shake until doughnut is well coated.  If you do this ahead of time the icing sugar will get absorbed into the doughnut.  I like to add the icing sugar right before they are going to be eaten.

Print Friendly and PDF

Linking up here.

24 comments:

  1. I JUST bought a donut pan last week, so I am super excited about this recipe! Love "healthing things up" (as I like to say) whenever I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the doughnut looks so soft and fluffy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! A few questions -- what is coconut sugar? Also, is vanilla powder the same as vanilla sugar, or is it a different ingredient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you google coconut sugar you can read about how it's made. It comes from coconuts but doesn't taste like coconuts. It has a low glycemic index so you don't get a sugar rush...it's slowly released. Vanilla powder is different from vanilla sugar. I don't use vanilla sugar. The vanilla powder I have used is from Nielsen Massey. I use this instead of vanilla extract.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful looking doughnut! We love baked doughnuts and make a ton of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful! I've never used coconut sugar before, will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look fantastic. I am definitely going to try these! great choice. Fellow Group D Member

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is it I don't have a donut pan? I need one now! Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look gorgeous!
    I love that you healthify otherwise unhealthy foods. It's such a great way to get your kids to eat!
    Btw, I had no idea what coconut sugar was! I'm going to have to look for it here at Whole Foods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henna! Well most of the healthifying was done by the original recipe. I just substituted coconut sugar for the regular sugar. I found it in Bulk Barn. It is more expensive than regular sugar. I like to use it in Hasan's breakfast baked goods so he doesn't get a sugar rush followed by a sugar crash. And I find chocolate anything in the morning gets him so excited. I made whole wheat banana muffins yesterday for his breakfast and just to get him excited about it I sprinkled a little bit of chocolate chips on top.

      Delete
  9. They look fabulous! Very yummy :) Great choice..happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum~ Wonderful pick for SRC Reveal Day~ I think it's time to purchase a donut pan! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea getting the baby food applesauce! I also don't use it very often and find myself with a lot of leftover... I shall remember that next time!

    Great recipe, by the way.... hope you are having a wonderful Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum!! I need these donuts in my life....NOW!!!

    Happy Reveal Day!
    Bobbi ~ Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delicious sounding recipe! Great idea using the baby food applesauce. This way, you don't end up wasting a half un-used jar by forgetting about it in the fridge...Happy reveal day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved powdered sugar on donuts. It's just sinful! :)
    Happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look really yummy! I never knew that about the OJ...have you noticed if it works?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely have to make baked doughnuts, they looks so rich! And whole wheat is so my thing too. Really gorgeous, and the tip about the orange juice is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how these doughnuts sound! And great tips on buying applesauce (I'm totally doing that in the future) and I had no clue that adding a little orange juice reduces the bitterness of whole wheat flour! Great pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing, my bro is so crazy bout doughnuts.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks wonderful, need to buy a doughnut pan to try it :)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}