Orange, Date and Walnut Muffins {SRC}


It's Secret Recipe Club time again!  For those of you unfamiliar with the club, every month we are assigned a blog and must make one recipe from that blog.  But we must keep it a secret who we were assigned.  Then on reveal day we all post our recipes and find out who was assigned who.

This month I was assigned Everyday Insanity written by Cindy.  Cindy has a large family with five brothers, 6 children and 14 grandchildren!  My father also came from a big family with 4 brothers and 9 sisters.  I'm always amazed how mothers are able to handle such big families when I sometimes feel so overwhelmed with just 2 little boys.

As I was browsing Cindy's blog I saw that she has a lot of cookie recipes on her blog...my kids (like most other kids) love cookies and it was one of my father's favourite things to eat.  I was all set to make Cindy's Everything But The Kitchen Sink Cookies but things have been so busy lately and it kept getting delayed.  Finally I realized I didn't have time to bake cookies.  Cindy has many other great recipes and one of those are her Orange Date Muffins.  We all love dates and we had a lot of oranges from CostCo so it was a perfect choice.  I made a couple changes, used oil instead of melted butter and walnuts instead of pecans.  I have to say these were excellent!!!  Fresh out of the oven they were very soft and moist.  Cindy served hers with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting but I left mine un-iced and they were delicious!  I think these would also be great with the dates replaced with cranberries or chocolate chips.  Next time I think I will also add some orange zest to the batter and replace some of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.  Thank you Cindy for a great recipe...I will be making your Everything But The Kitchen Sink Cookies very soon! Please drop by Cindy's blog and check out her recipes!

Orange, Date and Walnut Muffins
Adapted from Everyday Insanity

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 orange, peeled
1 egg
extra milk, as needed
1/4 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Grease muffin tin (I used liners to make cleanup easy).

In a food processor, chop 1 whole, peeled orange (I used my mini chopper).  Measure the orange juice and if there is less than 1 cup, top up with milk to make 1 cup.

In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, dates, walnuts, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a small bowl, combine pureed orange, oil and egg.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Using an ice cream scoop fill prepared muffin tin.

Bake 14-16 minutes.

Print Friendly and PDF

Linking up here.

30 comments:

  1. I got her blog in the last round up... Enjoyed chasing for recipes, she's got a ton of nice stuff posted!

    You made a great choice, the combination of dates with oranges and walnuts is a winner all the way

    and the picture is wonderful!

    Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words about my blog. I'll tell you how you do a big family--you get them one kid at a time!! Family life is just busy weather you have two children or six! I was lucky to stay at home so that was a blessing. I always wonder how any mother works full time and has children!
    I'm so glad you liked the muffins, using the whole orange makes them so delicious. I have been making these for years. I'm glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never worked with dates before, but these muffins sound amazing. I'll have to fix that problem and give them a try with this recipe. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These muffins look simple and delicious!

    As you know, I made your apple coffee cake and it was amazing and super easy to transfer into gluten free and vegan! Your blog is very beautiful and you have tons of great recipes!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this combination bookmarking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks really healthy... bookmarked!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orange date and walnut sound like a great combination for muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asiya these look delicious! I recently started using dates in food other than for Ramadan (lol), and I have to say that it's a great way of getting much needed fiber and protein, anddd it adds sweetness without tasting too date-y. I love your idea of adding oranges and walnuts with dates. Sounds like a fabulous combination!
    May Allah make things easier for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FABULOUS combination for muffins! And a STUNNING photo too! Great SRC pick, and hello from a fellow group D SRC player! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont bother to grab them...Very tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loooove muffins and these look SO good - awesome choice for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a really interesting flavour combination. I love the look of the everything but the kitchen sink cookies too! Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound different but good! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the addition of dates to it and love the beautiful orange hue!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh these look sooo delicious, masha'Allah! I want to try them with whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ayesha! Let me know how it goes with whole wheat!

      Delete
  16. They look very delicious ~ fresh,light and so springy, perfect for the season!

    Puja

    ReplyDelete
  17. Muffins look divine!! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. love everything about this muffin

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look very tempting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice combo of flavours in these muffins, thanks so sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything looks just perfect in this muffins !

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow, this looks so good.. so impressed there is no oil or butter. yum! orange and walnuts and dates are a great combo, never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Actually there is 1/4 cup of canola oil (original recipe used 1/3 cup melted butter)....thanks for the catch. When I read your comment it didn't sound right there was no fat. I've updated the recipe above..thanks again!

      Delete
    2. I tried the muffins we enjoyed it http://www.torviewtoronto.com/2013/04/orange-date-and-walnut-muffins.html :)

      Delete
    3. Yeah!!! Thank you for letting me know Akheela...heading over to your blog to check it out!

      Delete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}