Green Monster {SRC}


It's the last Monday of the month which means it time for The Secret Recipe Club!  This month I was assigned Life on Food written by Emily.  Emily is a young foodie who has lived in several different cities across the US (unlike me who has lived all my life in Toronto...I now live in the suburbs which I don't think really counts as another city....it is still GTA).  Emily has some great recipes on her blog like this Grilled Chicken Marinade or this Shrimp Thai Noodles with Spicy Peanut Sauce.

As I was looking through Emily's blog I noticed she had a few smoothie recipes.  As I was exploring them I saw one for Berry Green Monster.  I have been reading on several blogs people posting about The Green Monster and how it was amazing.  I have always thought it was interesting...it didn't look yummy but everyone was claiming it to be.  My main change to Emily's recipe was to add more spinach.  I wanted it to look really green.  Hasan's favorite colour is green so I thought it would entice him to drink it (I was wrong).  Bilal loved it and it's so cute to hear a 2 year old ask for a green monster.  I have actually made this several times already.  We just completed Ramadan and this was the perfect drink to have after breaking our fast.  Unfortunately during Ramadan I don't always eat as healthy as I should.  In our Indian/Pakistani culture we eat lots of deep fried snacks to break our fast and I personally barely eat any fruits and vegetables.  This was the perfect way to make sure we got some fruits and vegetables and it helped to fill us up so we didn't end up snacking on all the traditional deep fried goodies.

I've tried this with plain yogurt and Greek yogurt (we preferred plain yogurt).  I also tried it with chia seeds and flaxseeds.  We found the chia seeds made it more thick and we preferred the flaxseeds.

Thanks Emily for a great recipe!  This has become a regular in our home now and next I look forward to trying your Strawberry Banana Smoothie.

Green Monster
Adapted from Life on Food

3 cups organic baby spinach, packed
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used 2%)
1/2 cup orange juice (I used the one with lots of pulp)
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flaxseeds

In a blender combine all the above ingredients until pureed.  I used my immersion blender and a jug since I don't have a blender.

Print Friendly and PDF

Linking up here.

31 comments:

  1. Such a healthy n protein packed drink

    ReplyDelete
  2. So healthy and delicious! Plus it's such a fun way to eat more veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love green monster smoothies! I need to play with different fruits in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried a green smoothie, however, I would love to! My kids and husband and I LOVE spinach. Love it! I like that you tried chia seeds and flax in it too. Need to remember that next time I make smoothies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing on last week's Tasty Thursday :)

      Delete
  5. We are addicted to these smoothies right now! I love that they are packed with veggies and fruit; these are such a fun way to enjoy nutricious foods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your version of the Green Monster! How simple, nutritious and perfectly easy! We're going to feature this on our Facebook page and link here so people can see how you made it, and your lovely photography. If you wish, come LIKE us on Facebook for more recipes and tips on greens like kale, chard, beet, mustard, turnip, collard, escarole, dandelion and other green leafies. https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens

    --Your friendly Southern California farmers at Cut `n Clean Greens
    https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love making green monsters! although mine are usually a little brown, yours is a vibrant green. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you enjoyed it - and your little ones. I have starting having them for breakfast just about everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love things with greens! Thanks for sharing :)

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the green monster.... I love spinach in my smoothies and I love this version

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great & healthy drink, liked the name, super cute

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Healthy and delicious! Spinach and berries is a combination I've always wanted to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always love a green smoothie and this sounds really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to try a smoothie that added spinach, but never have yet. Smoothies are one of our favorite breakfasts or snacks, I'll have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love smoothies, *especially* green monster ones. This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd really like to give this a try. I've tried avocado smoothies before which were quite nice and but looks even better. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm always on the look out for delicious smoothie recipes ... and this one sounds like it fits the bill! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never had a green monster before, but I would love to give this one a try. It sounds delicious and looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. interesting combination I haven't had before it looks healthy. Glad to hear your little one enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. loving the name but spinach and bananas, ummm seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't even taste the spinach...you taste the bananas, berries and orange juice most!

      Delete
  21. Wow sounds like a great way to start the day! Interesting combo of ingredients, I just gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OOhh I really want to make this! And it looks so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Green Monster smoothies are a regular around here, my 3 year old and 1 year old love them. Thanks so much for linking up to Show & Share Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE green smoothies....I'm also a group D blogger

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's brilliant that you started drinking green smoothies. Green smoothies literally changed my life. I lost 56 pounds, recovered my health and I now have a website with loads of green smoothie recipes. I make filling green smoothies that are complete meals. I believe they are so healthy we should be making a meal out of them. If you'd like some more recipes, you will find them at http://www.greenthickies.com

    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}