Apple Coffee Cake



I love desserts with apples in them.  This recipe was originally a Cranberry Coffee Cake.  It used fresh cranberries.  I don't think I've ever had fresh cranberries and I was scared if I used them the cake would be too tart.  The first time I made it I skipped the cranberries and the cake came out too dry.  For my second attempt I replaced the cranberries with apples sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Everyone liked it, especially my mom.

This would go good with a scoop of ice cream but it is also very good on its own.

Apple Coffee Cake
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 cups plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour, divided
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp butter or margarine, softened, divided
1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

2 apples, peeled and cut into slices
brown sugar, to taste
cinnamon, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease a 9 inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper.  Grease the parchment paper as well.

In a bowl whisk together 2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt.  In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter/margarine and 1 cup of sugar at medium-high until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each one, scraping bowl down as needed.  Reduce speed to low.  Add the flour mixture in 3 batches alternating with milk (beginning and ending with flour).  Mix until just combined.

Add half the batter into the prepared pan and spread.  Top with apples leaving a 1/2 inch border.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.  I used about 1 tbsp brown sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.

Carefully spread the remaining batter on top of the apples.

In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp butter/margarine and 1 tbsp flour.  Mix with your fingertips until crumbly.  Sprinkle on top of cake.

Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a tester inserted comes out clean.  Cool in pan 30 minutes, then remove and cool crumb side up.


Print Friendly and PDF

Linking up here

27 comments:

  1. The cake looks perfectly moist and delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cake looks delicious... fantastic presentation... Wishing you and your family Eid Mubarak...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend and I are making a very similar cake with peaches today! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely delicious cake, looks soft and moist too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spongy cake with great coffee flavor

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cake! Love coffee cakes and this apple one looks amazing! Eid mubarak, A! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. delicious cake looks wonderful Eid Mubarak

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eid Mubarak to you and your family Asiya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow delicious and tempting cake......Eid Mubarak dear....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks too good to pass up. I have never used fresh cranberries before, so I am totally with you on the apple substitution. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your recipe! Would you come over to Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind The Curtain and share it with us?
    Thanks, I hope to see you there! ~Sheryl~ http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=33671

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so delicious and love the combination, perfect with coffee or even tea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apples are my favorite fruit and I really enjoy baking with them too -- this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely apple cake. cheers

    PS I know you have probably been busy. Just a wee reminder that it would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter back. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. apple coffee cake looks really very good. nice one

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cake looks awesome...I also love apple desserts...and cinnamon and apples are great together, aren't they? I love the way the house is filled with warm scents when such cakes are baking in the oven :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds divine! And...it definitely could pass as a delicious breakfast too! Apple..cinnamon...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds fabulous, and we love apple-cakes so much that we can never have enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. MMMMM! I love apples so much now, which is amazing because I used to HATE apples before. I think I eat an apple a day, most days of the week.

    I recently bought Grandma Hoerner's Big Slice Apple Sauce from Costco, because it's naturally sweetened, and it is so delicious! If they have it Canada, I think you should try it and perhaps experiment baking with it!

    Fresh cranberries? I don't know if I have ever seen them in grocery stores here. Or maybe I just never noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect and delicious looking apple cake, that is sure to impress.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That sounds perfect for fall! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect for apple season. I would be afraid of the fresh cranberries too. I always thought you had to cook them down a bit first.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks delicious! Such a lovely fall breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm generally not the biggest apple fan, but I've yet to turn down apple cakes. Your looks perfect and it would be lovely to have it right now with my coffee. Thanks Asiya for being a part of the YBR:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. it's like coffee cake and an apple pie in one! sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}