Quick Chocolate Cake


To date this is my go-to recipe for chocolate cake.  It is very easy to whip up!  I go easy on the frosting whenever I make it (but honestly I would love to make more and pipe nice pretty flowers).  You can easily halve the recipe which I have done on numerous occasions.  I usually make this cake the day before because I find chocolate cakes and brownies usually taste much better the next day.  This time I made the frosting a little thicker so I could spread evenly around.  Sometimes I thin it out a bit and spread it over the top and just let it drip down the sides.  I usually use half of the frosting recipe I have written below.

Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Dish Entertains

2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk*
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla bean paste Halal Vanilla Powder or Extract

* I used a combination of milk and vinegar.  Please refer to Substitution page 

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease 2 8" round cake pans and line with parchment paper.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Stir until combined.  With the mixer on low gradually add the oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla.  Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes or until combined.

Pour the batter in the prepared pans and bake 30-40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.  Transfer  pans to a rack to cool.

Once cake is cooled, place on round on a cake plate and ice.  Top with second layer and frost top and sides.

Chocolate Icing
Note: I used half of the recipe below and used a little less milk to make a thick frosting

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk

Beat all the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer until creamy.  Add the amount of milk according to how thick or thin you would like the icing to be.

Print Friendly and PDF

Linking to the following event:


29 comments:

  1. That looks so luscious and inviting dear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, chocolate cakes seem even more delicious the next day. I often end up eating a piece for breakfast if I have leftovers in the fridge :) The great thing about oil based cakes is that they can be eaten straight out of the fridge, unlike butter cakes which tend to harden upon refrigeration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. v inviting n tempting..frst time to ur blog..lov ur space..glad to follow u,

    visit me
    http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. very delicious cake..looks yumm nperfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Asiya, I am new to your blog, hopped in from Sadaf's blog....and I am so glad I came, this chocolate cake looks awesome, so moist and spongy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. cake looks delicious... perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious and such neat presentation!
    Love the click.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty cake! Chocolate cake with chocolate icing is always a favorite in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious. Where did you purchase vanilla bean paste?
    Thanks,
    Fatema

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fatima! I bought my vanilla bean paste from Williams Sonoma.

      Delete
    2. Would you recommend anything for a substitute for the paste?

      Delete
    3. The original recipe calls for vanilla extract. If you don't have a problem with the alcohol you can use that. If you are trying to avoid the alcohol you can use vanilla bean seeds. Some stores sell vanilla powder as well. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  10. I love how easy this sounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake looks perfect! I love how easy it is! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a gorgeous chocolate cake, A! I must try out your recipe soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks wonderful I like that the cake uses oil instead of butter. Deliciously done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That recipe is definitely easy..to remember too, and your cake looks beautiful. Will definitely try it..as soon as we finish the one I baked a couple of days ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome ... nicely presented too..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the simple and elegant decoration of this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Asiya,
    I am loving your recipe. Simple, quick and chocolate. What more could I ask for:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so loaded with chocolate ~ just the way i like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!!! What a gorgeous cake! This looks divine. Beautiful work, Asiya!

    ReplyDelete
  20. As salaam wa alaikum... Jazak Allah khair... for ur recipe. I hve tried it, its jst yummy and easy. May Allah ta'ala shower his blessings upon u. Aameen ya rabb...

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}