Homemade Wheat Thins


The most popular snack in our house is crackers so when I saw this on Oh She Glows I knew it would be perfect!  These were surprisingly easy to make and tasted great.  When rolling out the dough my edges were a little thin so those baked up darker than the rest.  Next time I'm thinking of tossing in some sesame seeds, poppy seeds or flax seeds.

I made half the recipe below since I wasn't sure how they would turn out.  Next time I will be making the whole recipe!

Homemade Wheat Thins
Adapted from Oh She Glows

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1/4 tsp paprika
4 tbsp unsalted cold butter
1/4 cup + 3 tbsp water, more as needed
1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste substitute with a Halal Vanilla Powder or Extract

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together flour, sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and paprika.  Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 forks until mixture is crumbly.  Mix the water and vanilla together.  Add to the flour mixture and stir together.  If the mixture is not coming together add a bit of water being careful not to make the dough sticky.

Divide the dough into two pieces.  On a lightly floured surface roll out half of the dough very thin.  Using a pizza cutter, cut into shapes.  Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet using a spatula and then sprinkle with salt.  Repeat with remaining half of dough.

Bake for 8-10 minutes rotating pan at halfway mark.  Keep a close eye on them to ensure they don't burn.  Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Print Friendly and PDF

30 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. Just like, or maybe even better than the original :-)

    Aparna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheat crackers are my favorite too...have to try these

    First time here & happy to follow you. Do drop by http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..perfect ones,just like store ones..I haven't tried these at home,will try some time!

    Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
    in the following ongoing events-
    Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
    EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question, is there really paprika in there??is it suppose to be sweet or not sweet(never tried it so just wondering)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is really paprika in here...I couldn't taste it though. There is a mild sweetness to them.

      Delete
  5. such a great recipe, so so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect snack... the paprika would make this so yum. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the benefit of making this yourself? The ingredients seem like they are more expensive than just going out and buying wheat thins, and there is no mention of this version being healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the benefit of making these myself is that I know all the ingredients that are going in. Most crackers have preservatives and ingredients that you have no idea what they are. Also I personally enjoy making things from scratch which is why I had decided to give this recipe a try.

      I haven't done a cost or nutritional analysis to compare this to store bought wheat thins. I am not claiming them to be healthier than store bought ones as I haven't looked into it.

      Delete
  8. I am SO making these today - we LOVE crackers too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!!! Let me know how they turn out & you can also upload a picture to my FB page (www.facebook.com/chocolateandchillies)

      Delete
  9. To be honest, I wasn't even sure these could be made without all the preservatives. I may have to make these just to surprise guests one night.

    -h

    ReplyDelete
  10. these wheat thins look wonderful deliciously done
    an award for you http://createwithmom.blogspot.ca/p/awards-and-reviews.html
    hope you accept :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. these wheat thins look so yumm n chrunchy....very very delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of wheat things...look crunchy and yum....

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice and tasty and healthy with maida eliminated. A really nice thing to have on hand with the vacations here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks perfect and crunchy!! First time here :) Happy to be your new follower!!
    http://youtoocancookindianfood.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look terrific. I love Wheat Thins, but I never though to make them myself. I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-your-talent-thursday-8.html. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow thats look perfect n crunchy..frst time to ur site..lov ur presentaion..glad to follow u!
    http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love crackers and these sounds like a prefect treat, can't wait to try them!
    love the picture by the way

    ReplyDelete
  18. Could you leave out the vanilla bean paste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried it without the vanilla bean paste but you could give it a try. If you have vanilla extract you can use that. I don't use the extract b/c it has alcohol in it. Please let me know how it turns out if you give it a try...you can also upload a picture of the crackers to my FB page too!

      Delete
  19. Wow these look so tasty! Will try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you for sharing this amazing recipe. this is a must try!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}