Mexican Pizza

After making Light Whole Wheat Baguette I had some dough sitting in the fridge I wanted to use up and I didn't want to make more bread.  I had read this dough can be used for pizza dough so I decided to give it a try.  I had read on a couple blogs about Mexican Pizza and have been wanting to give try it.  My pizza was very light on cheese.  I would prefer much more.  One time I put a little extra cheese on the pizza and Hasan took a couple of bites and stopped saying he didn't like it.  So to make sure he would eat it I went easy on the cheese.  He also has another condition that the cheese must be yellow. Once I tried to put mozzarella and he didn't eat it because it wasn't yellow.


Mexican Pizza
Adapted from Good Life Eats

1 lb of dough from Light Whole Wheat Baguette

1 tin black beans, rinsed and drained (19 oz)
juice of half a lime
1 tsp cumin powder (I felt this was a bit too much, next time will reduce to 3/4 tsp)
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp water (next time will increase to 4 or 5 tbsp water to make beans easier to spread)

1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
half of a red pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
1/4 cup corn, fresh or frozen (if frozen, allow to defrost before using)
1 small tomato, seeded and diced
3-4 tbsp cilantro, chopped
shredded cheese

Have dough at room temperature.

Bean Spread:
In a food processor add 1 cup of the black beans, cumin, chilli powder, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt.  Puree until smooth.  While it is pureeing, add water.  Add remaining black beans and pulse until chopped.  I wanted this to be chunky so I didn't pulse very much.  Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.

Preheat oven to the highest temperature it will go to.  Sprinkle cornmeal on a pizza pan.  On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to a 12 inch circle using a floured rolling pin.  Transfer dough to pizza pan.  Spread desired amount of bean spread on pizza (I used 1 cup).  Sprinkle with cheese.  Top with red pepper, jalapeno, onion, corn and cilantro.  (The original recipe said to put one quarter of the toppings then the cheese then with the remaining toppings...I didn't read it the directions thoroughly so didn't do this)

Bake for 10-15 minutes.  Can top with shredded lettuce, sour cream and salsa is desired.

Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. Great recipe....looks sooo delicioussss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious n yummy pizza..I too prefer with less cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic recipe.. looks yummmm

    My first visit to your space.. love the presentation .. glad to follow you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so delicious! I'm always open to creative pizza twists. :)
    Found you through YBR, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO full of colors and i'm sure the children will be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I love adding Mexican flavours to pizza night, it's the perfect fusion food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen pizza like this but you have my interest peeking :)

    Thanks for participating in the YBR!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}