General Tso's Chicken

We love eating Chinese food.  More specifically we eat Hakka Chinese but lately it's just has not been very appetizing..too much grease and bored of the same thing.  I've been following the blog Rasa Malaysia for awhile and thought it was time to give one of her recipes a try.  Whenever we get together with my family and we have Hakka Chinese we always seem to get General Tso's Chicken.  The recipe seemed very simple and quick to make.


It turned out really good.  It was quick to make too!  I had to make a substitution for the alcohol.  This dish tastes best if served immediately but you can make ahead.  Just add some water when you are reheating because it thickens up although this is not a saucy dish.  I can't wait to try some more recipes from Rasa Malaysia.

General Tso's Chicken
Adapted from Rasa Malaysia

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes (about 1 lb)
1 tsp orange juice
pinch of salt
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 1/2 tbsp canola oil, divided
1 inch ginger, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
5 dried red chillies
2 green onions, white part only, cut into 1 inch length

Sauce
1 1/4 tbsp 2 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp reduced sodium soya sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp cornstarch

Marinate chicken in orange juice and salt for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and set aside.

Mix the chicken with the 1/3 cup cornstarch.  Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok non-stick skillet.  Add the chicken and fry until cooked through.  Remove and put on a paper towel lined plate.

Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in the wok and add the garlic, ginger and dried red chillies.  Fry until you can smell the spices.  Add the sauce and mix.  When the sauce boils and thickens add the chicken and green onions.  Stir to coat everything with the sauce.  Serve immediately with some hot steamed rice.

Print Friendly and PDF  

9 comments:

  1. Asi, your making my mouth water!!!! YUM!!! I'm gonna definitely make this one! Is that green beans as a side dish? Do you have the recipe for that one too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to be doing that to you during Ramadan :) You should try this..it's so easy to make. If you can serve immediately.

    As for the green beans...I was trying to re-create Kan Shue Green Beans from Federicks but it did not turn out too good. Basically I quickly red chilli flakes and a lot of minced garlic in some oil. Add the greens and cooked till tender. Then at the end added soya sauce and salt. I think they add MSG and some stock too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's okay! I find that I salivate over the Kraft Kitchens magazines too! Can't be helped!:)
    I'll try to make the green beans when I make the chicken! Thanks! (BTW, I love the pic!!! esp. the background)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks juicy chicken recipe....extremely drool worthy......

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Kitchen Flavours: Thx...Hope you give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this again for dinner. I can't believe how quick, easy and yummy this dish is! I made a slight deviation. I added some chopped peppers and sliced mushrooms into the sauce mixture before adding the cooked chicken. It tastes so delish!!! thanks again for posting this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Great idea to add some veggies in..will have to give it a try!

      Delete
  7. I tried this and didn't turn out well. had tooo much vinegar in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. I will re-test the recipe and double check the amount of vinegar.

      Delete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}