Mummy's Indian Spiced Shrimp BBQ'd

My mom has been making this recipe for as long as I can remember.  She fries the shrimp but I thought this would be great on the barbeque!  It's very quick to make. We used a wok on the grill to make these.  You can also put them on skewers.  If you would like to fry them instead, in a non-stick skillet heat a couple of tablespoons of oil and fry with the addition of 2-3 whole green chillies.



One thing I would like to clarify is in Indian cooking we always use red chilli powder, which is cayenne pepper. If you ever see a recipe with red chilli powder DON"T use the chilli powder you find in your regular grocery store.  Use cayenne pepper or in Indian grocery stores it is labelled red chilli powder.  In most of my recipes I use the term cayenne pepper to avoid any confusion.


Mummy's Indian Spiced Shrimp
Printer Friendly

1 packet frozen shrimp (900 g, 31-40 per pound), defrosted, shell and vein removed
1 tbsp adrak laysan (ginger garlic paste)
1/2 tsp red chilli powder/ cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
2-3 tbsp minced fresh cilantro

Marinate the shrimp for 30 minutes in the ingredients above.

Heat the grill to medium-high heat.  Place in a wok and cook until cooked through. While they were in the wok we brushed them with some oil.  Serve hot!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I make these too... my husband taught me the recipe! hehehe He LOVES them! :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. your recipe is too good..will surely try this..
    first time here..wonderful space you have..
    very interesting recipe collection..Am your happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jay! Please let me know how it turns out. Thx for the follow. I took a look at your blog and LOVE IT!!! I am looking forward to trying your recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}