Bhajji (Spinach and Yellow Split Lentil Curry)

I was looking at the recipes I've labelled Hyderabadi.  I only have one recipe.  I think there should be more.  I'm labelling this recipe as Hyderabadi...anything my mom made when we were growing up I'm going to consider to be Hyderabadi although I've seen this dish in restaurants and on cooking shows.

I loved this dish growing up.  It tastes great with some shaami, khatti daal and rice.  It's very simple to make.  My only difference from what my mom does is to use less oil.  You should chop your spinach otherwise it becomes stringy after being cooked.  I was lazy and didn't have a lot of time so I just dump it all in the pot....and got stringy Bhajji.  But it tasted good nonetheless...


Bhajji (Spinach and Yellow Split Lentil Curry)
Printer Friendly

1/2 cup channi ki daal (yellow split lentil)
1 pound spinach (well washed and chopped)
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp coriander, chopped
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/8 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
4 whole green chillies

Baghar/Tadka/Tempuring
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp nigella seeds (kalongi)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
4 whole dried red chillies

1 tsp lemon juice

Wash the daal and preferably soak for at least 30 minutes.  In a small pot, add the channa ki daal and plenty of water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and boil until tender.

While the daal is cooking, in a medium sized pot, add spinach, tomatoes, coriander, cayenne pepper, turmeric, ginger garlic paste and salt.  Cook on medium heat until all the water is gone.  When the daal is tender, drain and add to the spinach mixture.  Once the spinach mixture is dry add the green chillies.

For the baghar, heat the oil in a small skillet.  Add the cumin, nigella seeds and mustard seeds.  After about 30 seconds add the dried red chillies.  Once the chillies have puffed up and the mustard seeds are popping add all at once to the spinach mixture.  Add the lemon juice, stir and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}