Easy Khorma

I originally got this recipe from my sister in law.  I had passed it to friend.  We went over for dinner one day and my friend had made this chicken dish and it was so yummy.  I asked her what the recipe was and she said that it was the recipe I had given her.  She had used red chilli flakes instead of cayenne pepper and she roasts and grinds her cumin, coriander and garam masala powders.  She also used a lot more oil than I do.  I took her changes but I used less oil.  I also added a potato because I love potatoes.  I don't like a lot of garam masala so my khorma doesn't have a strong garam masala taste.  Mine turned out mild since my red chilli flakes were not very hot.  You can substitute 1 pound of veal or lamb for the chicken.


Easy Khorma
Printer Friendly

Ingredients
1/2 whole chicken, cut into parts
2 tbsp oil
3 green cardamon
3/4 cup yogurt
4 tbsp fried onion
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp adrak laysan (ginger garlic paste)
salt to taste
1 potato, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices

Heat the oil over medium heat.  Once hot add the green cardamon and fry for about 30 seconds.  In a blender, blend yogurt, fried onion, red chilli flakes, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, adrak laysan and salt.  (I used an immersion blender to do this.)  Add this mixture to the oil and cook for about 2 minutes.  Add the chicken and cook until white all over.  Add a 1/2 cup of water and the potato.  Mix, reduce the heat, and cover.  Stir occasionally to make sure the khorma is not sticking to the bottom of  the pan.  Cook until chicken and potato are tender.  Serve hot with warm roti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}