Creamy Yogurt Hummus

This is my first blog post and it has nothing to do with chocolate or chillies...

Tomorrow I was planning on making some Arab kebabs and I want to have some hummus with it.  I love hummus and would love to make it at home but it calls for tahini, which I don`t have and has a lot of fat.  It also only comes in a huge jar which I`m barely going to use.  I found a recipe on Canadian Living which uses yogurt.  I only like to use CEDAR chickpeas.  I find other brands are inconsistent and most times are really dry.

I've made this hummus before and it turned out watery and really didn't have the flavor of hummus. So this time I put the yogurt in a cheesecloth to draw out the liquid.

I also toasted the sesame seeds before grinding them.  The consistency was better but it still doesn't taste like hummus.  I think next time I will skip toasting the sesame seeds.  I would call this more of a chickpea spread or dip than hummus.  My search for a low fat hummus continues.....

Creamy Yogurt Hummus
Adapted from Canadian Living
Printer Friendly

    2/3 cup 2% plain yogurt, stained in cheesecloth
    1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed 
    2 1 tbsp lemon juice 
    2 tbsp 3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds, ground 
    1/4 tsp ground cumin 
    3/4 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
    1 clove garlic, minced 
    3 tbsp  1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    Puree the chickpeas on med-low speed until pureed.  Doing this step without any of the other ingredients results in a creamier and smoother hummus.  Drizzle in the olive oil while the food processor is running.  Next drizzle in the lemon juice.  Add the yogurt and all the spices and puree until all combined making sure to scrape down the bowl.  Taste to check for seasoning.  
    Put everything in the food processor and blend until smooth.

The final product:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}